180816_CaeanCouto_MSoccer_Menzies

Scott Menzies opened the scoring against Seattle Pacific, and ended the match with a brace in a 5-0 victory.

The No. 24 Washington men’s soccer team is about to head in to one of the nation’s most difficult slate of regular season games. But before the Huskies’ year officially gets underway, they emphatically defeated Seattle Pacific in their only exhibition match by a score of 5-0.

The UW was in complete control over its Division II opponent from the start. Scoring started in the 18th minute when redshirt senior forward Scott Menzies got his head to a corner from sophomore midfielder Blake Bodily and calmly put the ball in the back of the net. Eighteen minutes later, Menzies scored again, scooping up a loose ball and smashing a shot to the lower right corner to double up the advantage.

But the scoring wasn’t over yet for Washington in the first half. In the 42nd minute, senior defender Quentin Pearson got in on the party, putting the ball away off a rebound. Assisting on this goal was one of a few newcomers to head coach Jamie Clark’s squad, junior midfielder Daniel Ribas. Ribas is a transfer from Creighton, where he played in only 11 total games his first two seasons.

Twelve minutes into the second half, Bodily found himself a goal, easily converting a penalty kick and giving the UW a 4-0 lead. Bodily was incredibly aggressive offensively, leading all players with seven shots.

The 81st minute saw a couple of fresh faces link up for the UW’s final goal of the game. Redshirt junior midfielder Andrew Conwell, who appeared in only three matches last season, navigated through the defense and found redshirt freshman defender Noah Whitman for the easy finish.

In total, Washington outshot SPU 24-4 and made quick work of its cross-town competition.

The Huskies will officially open their season against the Maryland next Friday. That game will begin at 8 p.m. and will be broadcast on Pac-12 Networks.

Reach reporter Chris Angkico at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @chrisangkico