Competing as the No. 3 seed at the NCAA Franklin Regional tournament, the Washington men’s golf team put together a solid first 18 holes Monday to tie for third with Kennesaw State on the team leaderboard. The UW shot 5-under 283 in the first round, sitting four strokes behind East Carolina and 15 strokes back from leader Texas.

“It was a solid first day overall,” head coach Matt Thurmond said. “You want to keep yourselves near the top in round one.”

Freshman Carl Yuan had the strongest performance of his young collegiate career Monday, shooting 7-under 65 to tie for second on the individual leaderboard. The rookie sits just one stroke back from leader Doug Ghim, a freshman from Texas.

Yuan shot par or under on every hole in the first round, rattling off five birdies. Yuan capped off the best tournament score of his career with an eagle on the seventh hole.

“Carl’s round was so huge,” Thurmond said. “We desperately needed it, and for a freshman to go bogey-free under that pressure just can’t be overappreciated. It was so good and crucial for us that he had that round.”

Junior Corey Pereira continued as the UW’s most consistent performer, shooting even par on the day. Pereira had a slow start Monday, shooting bogey, bogey, and double bogey on holes 13-15, respectively. Pereira made up for it in his back nine, posting three consecutive birdies to finish even.

Tied with Pereira on the individual leaderboard in 26th is senior Chris Babcock, also at even par following the first round. Sophomore Frank Garber sits a couple strokes behind his teammates at 2-over 74. Garber scattered four bogeys and two birdies over his first 18 holes to tie for 42nd individually heading into Tuesday.

Rounding out the UW lineup is senior Jonathan Sanders. The veteran’s first round score was hampered by a bogey and double bogey on his final two holes of the day, bringing him to 3-over 75. Sanders sits tied for 46th after Monday.

The Huskies will tee off tomorrow morning for their second round of 18 holes in hopes of becoming one of 13 teams at Vanderbilt Legends Course to advance to nationals. The UW will be paired with leaders Texas and East Carolina, and Sanders will begin the day with a 9:15 tee time from the first hole.

“Hopefully we can gain on Texas tomorrow,” Thurmond said.

Reach reporter Cody Tyo at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @codytyo