Mireya Grey brings national experience to her sophomore year at the UW

• 0

The Washington women’s soccer team has had its ups and downs early this season and the scoring has come in bursts. Sophomore Mireya Grey has an opportunity to provide scoring chances for the Huskies.

The Seattle-native, whose father played professional soccer in Jamaica, spent some of her offseason playing for the Jamaica U-20 team.

“It was another team that I felt very close to, UW is my family, and I felt that all the girls on that team being Jamaican, and having a similar upbringing, it was essentially playing for another one of my families,” Grey said.

Grey feels like she experienced new pressures in playing for this team, especially with the new competition.

“I think my favorite part was the competition we played in, it was a U-20 CONCACAF tournament, so the pressure of playing against teams like USA and Mexico, those are huge teams, it helped me see the different levels of play and the competitiveness that everyone has,” Grey said.

Grey was exposed to lots of talent in the offseason, also playing for the Seattle Sounders women’s team alongside many of her UW teammates. Her scoring shined for this team with two goals in just three games, she also stated it helped her get into shape for the collegiate season.

With these new experiences behind her, the forward should feel primed for a leap this season, and she wants to continue to improve her game.

“I definitely want to improve in attacking players one-on-one, and help either get crosses along or score more goals,” Grey said.

Grey has yet to score a goal in her UW career but has showcased explosive speed down the line in her wing position. She has started in four of the seven games this season, and has only put up six shots so far. Grey has led forwards in shot accuracy at 50 percent, meanwhile, the team’s accuracy has only been a 39 shot-on-goal percentage for the season.

Head coach Lesle Gallimore notices the depth the team has at forward, but without a lot of scoring from the position, she wants a player to step up in the attack.

“Now it’s just a matter of getting the shots off and having that swagger, and [Mireya’s] capable of it, I think she’s really a capable player.” Gallimore said. “Once you start to drop one or two, it’s like anything in sports, you can get on a roll, and I think she’s on the verge of that.”

Grey will get another opportunity on the field Sunday at 5 p.m., when Washington travels to its cross-town rival Seattle University for its final non-conference game of the season.

Reach contributing writer Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @JoshTreEddy