Washington women head back to Lake Las Vegas for Midwest showdown

• 0

The women's first varsity eight rows at the Husky Open on March 30.

The No. 1 Washington women’s rowing team returns to Lake Las Vegas this weekend to take on No. 5 Michigan and No. 9 Ohio State.

The three crews will compete in four races: first and second varsity eights as well as first and second varsity fours.

“We’re really psyched to get NCAA lineups on the water, plus another four, because that’s an indicator for the depth of our team,” head coach Yasmin Farooq said. “Ohio State and Michigan are two of the strongest teams in the Midwest.”

Last season, Washington rowed against Michigan in a three-race regatta on Lake Las Vegas. The Huskies won all three races while Michigan finished second in the second varsity eight and third in both the varsity eight and varsity four.

At last year’s NCAA championships, the Huskies finished second overall with the Buckeyes placing sixth and the Wolverines coming in seventh.

“I feel really lucky to be able to race them, not only because they’re out of conference, but because they’re excellent teams,” Farooq said. “It gives us a gauge on speed for teams in other parts of the country that we haven’t seen.”

Reach reporter Evan Wong at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @evan_wong29