Elijah Mason’s throw shines bright during strong weekend for UW

• 0
Mason

Elijah Mason watches his throw during the Husky Classic last season. Mason set a UW freshman record in California on Saturday, throwing the discus 199 feet. 

Coming into the day, Elijah Mason had only thrown discus once for the Washington track and field team. He leaves today with the seventh best mark in the nation.

Mason was the big story from Long Beach, Calif. The freshman launched the discus 199 feet, good for seventh best in school history, and the best mark in the event in 12 years.

Mason improved his previous best by 14 feet, 8 inches, he now currently holds the fourth best throw in the West region of the NCAA.

The Arizona native’s only other meet was the Stanford Invitational, and his 184 feet and 4 inches was still the best on the team; today’s effort will make that separation much larger.

Elsewhere, perhaps the most dominant feat of the day came in the women’s 400-meter hurdles, as all four Huskies that competed in the event finished in the top eight. UW’s Darhian Mills finished in 58.53 seconds to win the event.

Senior Carly Lester was close behind to get second with a new personal record of 59.26, a 0.16 second improvement over her previous best. Morganne Hill and Karlee Stueckle rounded out the pack by finishing fifth and eighth, respectively.

On the men’s side, the lone Dawg in the 400-meter hurdles was Cass Elliott, who had a third-place finish in 52.28 seconds.

The 400-meter race was a sweet spot for the purple and gold today; the UW pulled in personal records from all four athletes running in the 400 meter dash.

Evan Mafilas placed second overall with a new PR of 46.90, and Jesse Palmer crossed the finish line in 48.29, edging out his former best by 0.23 seconds. Those two also added PRs in the 200-meter race later in the day.

Senior Imani Apostol broke 55 seconds for the first time in her career, setting a new best of 54.96, good enough for fifth among all women in the event. Sarah Stavig improved her best mark in the event by 0.78 seconds.

Apostol finished her day by competing in the 200 for the first time this season. The standout didn’t miss a step, running a wind-aided time of 24.19.

Cardinal Classic

The distance runners for the Washington track team put a bow on a successful weekend, with seven Huskies achieving new personal records.

Sophomore Allie Schadler pulled in a massive improvement of 11.76 seconds in the 1,500-meter race. She finished fifth in the event and edged out other Huskies Katie Rainsberger and Anna Maxwell.

Isaac Green dropped his best time in the 1,500 by nearly seven seconds with a time of 3:47.54. Standout Mick Stanovsek also competed in the event; his time of 3:44.43 was enough to finish third in the event and is his best since transferring to Washington.

Julius Diehr, Alex Slenning, and Nicholas Laccinole finished the steeplechase in third, fourth, and fifth, and all three obtained PRs in the event.

Gavin Parpart and Andy Snyder each ran the 10k for the first time and placed second and third, respectively.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy