Slow start once again hurts Dawgs in loss to Bruins

• 0
Peterson

Sophomore guard Missy Peterson drives past Oregon guard Sabrina Ionescu. Peterson scored 10 points and added four rebounds and four assists in the UW's loss to UCLA.

The Washington women’s basketball team again fell to another conference foe, this time UCLA, after a slow start, 76-60.

It seems the Huskies (8-15, 1-10 Pac-12) have fallen back into their “one bad quarter” that plagued them last season. It was the third quarter against USC on Friday; it was the first quarter today.

At the end of it, the Bruins (13-9, 6-4 Pac-12) led 30-11, shooting 13-of-17 from the field, 2-for-2 from distance, and owned a 10-2 rebound advantage.

On top of that, the Huskies turned the ball over five times, which the Bruins capitalized into 11 points. In the second quarter, Washington just couldn’t put the ball through the net, only scoring 8 points to put their halftime total to just 19.

The UW did, however, turn the game around in the second half, with Amber Melgoza leading the way with 23 points and Darcy Rees, and Missy Peterson notching 10 points apiece, but it wasn’t enough to make up the large halftime deficit.

The Bruins turned the ball over a total of 23 times, but those turnovers were just converted into 14 points. UCLA scored 21 off of 16 UW turnovers.

Back at home again next weekend, Washington will see a familiar face in Aari McDonald and Arizona, and No. 21 Arizona State. McDonald returns to Alaska Airlines Arena for the first time since deciding to transfer after her freshman season at UW in 2017.

Reach Assistant Sports Editor Alec Dietz at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @AlecDietz