Both UW cross country teams finish top-10 at NCAA Championships

• 0

Last year in Louisville, Ky., senior Tanner Anderson was one place away from earning All-American honors. This time in Madison, Wis., he made sure it wasn’t even close as his 19th place finish led the No. 6 Washington men’s cross-country team to a sixth place finish, it’s highest in 29 years. The No. 14 women’s team also placed top-10.

Coming in 26th at the 8K split, Anderson moved up seven spots to place 19th in 29:40.72 to earn his first All-American honors in cross-country. Less than 20 seconds behind him, sophomore Tibebu Proctor also became an All-American for the first time by placing 38th.

The third runner across for the Huskies was senior Fred Huxham, who placed 58th with a time of 30:13.36 while junior Andy Snyder in 67th and sophomore Talon Hull in 80th rounded out the top-5, giving the Huskies 213 points, just 12 behind Pac-12 Champions Stanford.

On the women’s side, junior Katie Rainsberger was the first Washington finisher, also coming in 19th. She has been the first scorer for the Huskies in every single race this year and was named an All-American for the third time in her cross-country career. Behind her, junior Lilli Burdon placed 33rd, making it consecutive All-American seasons for her.

Senior Emily Hamlin placed 69th and sophomore Allie Schadler came in at 102nd to be the third and fourth Washington scorers while freshman Olivia O’Keeffe secured the fifth scorer’s slot with her 169th place finish. It is the highest finish for the women’s side since 2012.

Overall, Wisconsin junior Morgan McDonald claimed the individual title by less than a second in front of the hometown crowds while No. 1 Northern Arizona won the team title. On the women’s side, No. 1 Colorado won its third national title and two-time Pac-12 champion Dani Jones added a national championship to her trophy cabinet.

With the cross-country season wrapped up, the next chance to see the Washington runners will be Jan. 12 at the UW Indoor Preview.

Reach reporter Andy Yamashita at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @ANYamashita