All UW boats reach IRA and NCAA grand finals

• 0
Rowing

The UW racing earlier this season against Cal on the Montlake Cut. The Washington men won three of their four races in the semifinals today to advance all four boats to the grand finals. 

On day two of the IRA national championships in Gold River, California, the Washington men’s rowing team won three out of four semifinals, while the women won all three semifinals in Indianapolis to earn spots in the grand finals.

The UW men will race all four of their boats in the national grand finals as well.

On the men’s side, the varsity eight marked the first semifinal race of the day for the UW. Washington used a strong start to take a slight lead over Harvard at the 500 meter mark. The Huskies extended this advantage as they approached the halfway point of the race. The UW finished in first with a time of 5:34.645 over second place Harvard (5:36.635).

In the second varsity eight, Washington raced to an early lead in the initial 500 meters. California made a big push the next 500 meters and grabbed the lead over the UW. The Huskies attempted to make a surge the last 250 meters but came across in second with a time of 5:39.344 behind the Golden Bears’ first place time of 5:37.310.

Much like the second varsity eight, the Dawgs’ third varsity eight raced out of the starting block. Washington used this fast start on its way to a first place time of 5:45.683 over Princeton’s time of 5:47.392.

The UW men wrapped up their semifinal action with the varsity four. Washington used a powerful start and cruised to victory, coming in at 6:22.502 with MIT placing second with a time of 6:26.532.

The grand finals begin tomorrow morning at 9:14 a.m.

Women sweep semifinals en route to grand finals bids in Indy

Washington’s varsity eight represented the first of three semifinal races. The UW gained a narrow advantage over Stanford at 1,000 meters. In a very close finish, the Huskies (6:32.931) edged out the Cardinal (6:33.781) to earn first.

For the second varsity eight, Washington faced a deficit in the back half of their race. The Huskies used a late surge to capture first with a winning time of 6:52.663 over Ohio State’s time of 6:52.776.

The Dawgs wrapped up day two in Indianapolis with the varsity four. Washington had a narrow lead at the halfway point but turned it up a notch during the latter half of the race. The UW crossed the line in 7:35.938 while Texas came in second with a time of 7:39.866.

The grand finals kick off tomorrow morning at 7:24 a.m. PST.

Reach reporter Evan Wong at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @evan_wong29