Huskies lose to Stanford in regular season finale

• 0
Sommer

Senior Enzo Sommer goes to return a serve last season for the Huskies. The senior finished his UW career at home with a win in his doubles match against Stanford. 

The Washington men’s tennis team fell to No. 12 Stanford 4-1 on Sunday afternoon.

The Huskies (7-16, 2-6 Pac-12) got off to a strong start winning the doubles point, but lost the next four singles matches to fall to a Stanford team sitting at third in the Pac-12.

In their last match at Quillian Tennis Stadium, seniors Kawika Lam and Enzo Sommer won at No. 2 doubles 6-4. At No. 1 doubles, the No. 72 pairing of Jack Davis and senior Piers Foley defeated Stanford’s Sameer Kumar and Timothy Sah 6-3.

In singles, Enzo Sommer went toe to toe with No. 13 Alex Geller on court 1. Sommer challenged Geller throughout the match, but was unable to come up with the big points as he lost two tiebreakers to fall 6-7, 6-7.

Sophomore Jack Davis went the distance in a three set match on court 2, losing to the Cardinal’s No. 51 Alexandre Rotsaert 2-6, 6-3, 3-6. The third set was closer than it appeared, but Davis lost several crucial deuce points to give Rotsaert the hard fought victory.

Senior Sebastien Hawken wrapped up his Pac-12 career at UW falling on court 5 to Timothy Sah 4-6, 3-6.

Both Piers Foley and Ewen Lumsden were embroiled in three-set affairs for the Huskies when the match was clinched for the Cardinal.

Up next for the Huskies is the Pac-12 tournament, which will take place this Wednesday up until Saturday in Ojai, California.

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com  Twitter: @cadenmconder