The Washington men’s golf team is poised for success this season under new head coach Alan Murray. Murray is only the 10th head coach in program history, and comes to Montlake after three seasons at the University of Alabama.

Murray is already off to a good start with a top-15 finish to open the season followed by a top-5 finish. The Huskies’ long season continues with only three more tournaments in the fall, and will open the new year against conference opponents and a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

The UW returns its top performer in senior Corey Pereira. The Cameron Park, Calif., native is the clear leader of the team and has placed highest among the Huskies’ five-man roster in the first two tournaments of the season.

Joining him is fellow senior Kevin Kwon, juniors Frank Garber and Jordan Lu, and sophomore Carl Yuan. All five returners add experience and impressive performances from the 2015-16 season.

Pereira’s individual best came at the start of conference play last season when he shot 5-under 66 during The Swoosh Invitational.

Garber and Lu also prove to be reliable assets for the UW, as they averaged just above par in the eight tournaments they competed in, 72.7 and 73.9 respectively.

The Huskies welcome a host of newcomers as freshmen Shamu Bodhidatta, Henry Lee, Daniel List, and Sam Warkentin begin their collegiate careers.

To open the season, Warkentin tied for the UW’s top individual finish with both he and Pereira carding 7-over 220 for 27th place.

The Bainbridge Island native comes to the UW with an impressive resume. In his junior career, Warkentin won 14 tournaments and averaged a 71.1 tournament score in the 2015-16 season prior to attending the UW.

He became the first Washington Junior Golf Association Overall State Champion to have three consecutive wins, from 2014-16, but he isn’t the only freshman with extensive experience.

Bodhidatta, who hails from Bangkok, Thailand, has two championship titles and two top-five finishes under his belt.

The UW will continue its campaign on the road in Fort Worth, Texas on Sunday.

Reach Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez