With two weekends left, Huskies feel the urgency to qualify for nationals

• 0
schadler

Sophomore Allie Schadler runs during the UW Indoor Preview.

With the Last Chance College Elite Meet looming Friday, the Dawgs are using this event as another chance to qualify for NCAA Indoor Championships. Events are set to begin at 2 p.m. and finish around 6:45 p.m. The men’s invite mile will take place on Saturday at 3:20 p.m.

In order to qualify for nationals, one must place in the top-12 individually and top-16 for relays.

Junior Katie Rainsberger and sophomore Allie Schadler are running the mile this week. Currently Rainsberger sits in 18th place nationally with a time of 4:36.76 and Schadler is in 22nd with a 4:37.12. The current time to qualify is 4:34.98.

Sophomore Hannah Rusnak, who placed 14th in the pentathlon at the UW Invitational, is participating in the women’s long jump and the 200-meter dash. Her season-best score of 3,665 points ranks 45th nationally.

On the men’s side, the distance medley relay team will consist of juniors Mick Stanovsek and Connor Morello, sophomore Devan Kirk, and redshirt freshman Talon Hull. Morello is replacing sophomore Evan Mafilas, who was on the men’s DMR with Stanovsek, Kirk, and Hull, is currently sitting in fourth nationally with a 9:37.15.

Stanovsek will be running in the men’s invite mile for the first time representing the purple and gold. Last year he ran a 3:57.90 in the mile, which would currently qualify for nationals.

Fifth-year senior Izzi Batt-Doyle and senior Fred Huxham highlight the list of athletes who won’t be competing this week. Despite breaking the indoor school record for the 5,000-meter run last week at the Husky Classic, Batt-Doyle is 15th nationally and will need to improve her time by almost six seconds to qualify. Huxham is 12th nationally for the indoor 3,000-meter run. Both are likely resting for the MPSF Championships next week.

Reach reporter Daniel Li at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @Daniel_Li7