UW men glide past Northeastern, Stanford, and Oregon State

• 0
170407_MCrew

The UW men's varsity four finished in 6:30.40 on Saturday morning, beating Northeastern by over 30 seconds.

The No. 2 Washington men’s crew swept its weekend, winning all seven of its races on Saturday against No. 6 Northeastern and No. 13 Stanford and all four on Sunday against Oregon State in Redwood Shores, Calif.

Washington began the morning Saturday with a victory over Northeastern in the varsity eight. Sophomore coxswain Adam Gold guided the Huskies to a winning time of 5:40.08, coming in just over seven seconds ahead of Northeastern’s time of 5:47.36.

The Dawgs won by a similar margin of victory in the second varsity eight race, crossing the finish line in 5:49.08 as Northeastern finished with a time of 5:55.95.

For the UW’s third varsity eight, senior coxswain Kimmons Wilson and junior stroke Cole Zwierzynski led the Huskies of the Pacific Northwest to a time of 5:57.30 while the Huskies from Boston crossed in 6:05.78.

Washington’s varsity four (6:30.40) turned in the most impressive victory of the morning session by crushing Northeastern’s four (7:04.40) by over 30 seconds.

After a break in the action, the Huskies took on Stanford —  which rowed in the morning vs. Oregon State — in three afternoon races.

The Washington freshmen eight rowed to a near-20-second victory over the Cardinal’s third varsity eight in the first race of the afternoon, coming in at 6:07.5.

Washington’s second varsity eight did even better, beating the Cardinal by over 25 seconds with a time of 5:55.6.

The Huskies concluded their day with another varsity eight win. Senior captain Ben Davison led the veteran crew from the six seat and crossed the line in 5:52.7; Stanford finished with a time of 6:06.1.

The UW retained the Andrea and Everett Peter Paip Cup — named in honor of former UW and Stanford coxswain Pete Paup —  with the win over Stanford. Paup finished second in the coxed pair at the 1956 U.S. Olympic Trials and went on to become chairman and president of the Manson Construction Company.

After a night’s break, the UW completed its weekend trip at Redwood Shores with four victories in four races over No. 18 Oregon State on Sunday.

Washington started off the morning with a dominating victory in the men’s varsity eight race. With senior Madison Molitor in the bow seat, the Huskies turned in their fastest time of the weekend, finishing the 2,000 meters in 5:36.19. Oregon State finished with a time of 5:56.59.

In the UW’s second race of the morning, Washington’s freshman eight faced off against Oregon State’s third varsity eight. The Huskies posted a time of 5:52.15 to the Beavers’ 6:26.33.

The Huskies second varsity eight defeated the Beavers in the third race of the day. Washington crossed the finish line win in a time of 5:32.32 with Oregon State coming in at 5:58.73.

The UW completed its road trip with a victory over the Oregon State’s varsity four. Led by coxswain Isabel Klein, Huskies finished 2,000 meters in 6:14.50, followed by the Beavers (6:31.58).

The annual Cal Dual will take place April 20 on Montlake Cut.

Reach contributing writer Evan Wong at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @evan_wong29