Washington swept by Arizona State

• 0

To conclude its trip to Arizona, the Washington beach volleyball team dropped another match 5-0, this time to Arizona State in, the Pac-12 South Invitational, hosted by Arizona.

At the No. 3, No. 4, and No. 5 positions, the Sun Devils (3-3) won all sets played to win the overall dual match. The Huskies (0-3) stole a set away in both the No. 1 and No. 2 matches, but it wasn’t enough.

Senior Destiny Julye and junior Shayne McPherson won their first set against ASU’s Ashley Wenz and Oluoma Okaro 21-15. The Sun Devils’ No. 1 pair came back, winning the next two sets 22-20 and 15-7.

In the No. 2 spot for Washington, senior duo Kristen Gengenbacher and Cat McCoy won their first set against ASU’s junior pair of Ellyson Lundeberg and Katelyn Carballo 21-19 but then lost 21-13 and 15-8 in the following two sets. 

The beach Dawgs will gain back key members along with some height for their upcoming tournament as many players on the roster were away at tryouts for the USA National Team.

Next, the Huskies go to Vancouver, Wash. where they will face Oregon, Portland and Boise State.

Reach reporter Madison MacPhee at sports@dailyuw.com . Twitter: @madison_macphee  

Like what you’re reading? Support high-quality student journalism by donating here