Scoring drought, shutout streak continue in tie against Redhawks

• 0
HELENA REISCHLING

UW freshman defender Helena Reischling in action in Washington's home opener against Portland last week. The freshman has helped the Huskies defense to two straight shut outs, but the Huskies haven't been able to generate enough offense to win either of its first two games. 

The Washington women’s soccer team has logged 220 minutes in its first two games but still have no goals to show for it after today’s 0-0 tie to Seattle.

It was UW’s second straight scoreless tie to open its season. The offensive struggles continued in the first half. After not capturing a goal in the team’s first game, Washington (0-0-2) only put up one shot on target in the first 45 minutes. The Dawgs also only produced one corner kick in the first period.

“We have to have more of a killer instinct at the beginning of the games, and more of this idea of being impactful in and around the box, and more of putting onus on themselves to be dangerous,” head coach Lesle Gallimore said.

The chances were there in the second half. Sophomore Summer Yates drew a foul in the box, earning a penalty kick that Taylor Sekrya launched on the target, but Seattle (0-1-1) goalie Madison Waguespack extended towards and deflected the ball away.

Shortly after, Olivia Van der Jagt headed a ball off the crossbar, and in the 87th minute Yates launched a shot from the top of the box that ricocheted off the post. Washington was literally inches away from securing its first goal near the end of regulation.

“If we keep hammering away at those things, but find more of a bite early in the game when we’re fresher instead of just letting teams hang around, hang around, we’ll find a chance,” Gallimore said.

The Huskies finally saw a shot hit the back of the net with a close range shot from sophomore Summer Yates, but she was a little too close with the ref calling the play offsides in the 32nd minute.

The Seattle forwards flocked the Washington defenders early, putting pressure on the backline with sharp and quick passes. The defense held strong and only allowed one shot throughout the first half.

“When they’re pressing you like that you can’t keep playing back into their pressure, I thought we did a better job of sitting in pockets and turning and running at them right away the second half,” Gallimore said. 

Keeper Dani Hansen still hasn’t let a goal by her this season and recorded a save in Monday night’s match. The defense as a whole only allowed four shots.

“We’ve been pretty stalwart, we’ve played against some pretty direct styles of play, we’ve shut them down, we haven’t be susceptible too much on the counter, or given too much away back there,” Gallimore said. “We’ve limited their corners and set pieces, not just the back line but I think the entire team has done a pretty good job of defending.”

Washington will have a short week, it will host North Carolina on Thursday at 7 p.m. as part of the Husky Invitational.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy