Storm not first pro team to make the UW their (temporary) home

• 0
Huard

Former UW standout quarterback Brock Huard stands on the sidelines of Husky Stadium, where he would start a game that season as a Seattle Seahawk in 2000. 

With KeyArena undergoing renovations to accommodate Seattle’s incoming NHL team, the reigning WNBA champion Seattle Storm will split time this season between Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett and Alaska Airlines Arena at Hec Edmundson Pavilion.

“I love Hec Ed,” UW alum Sami Whitcomb told The Athletic last August. “It’s a great environment particularly when it fills up. I know that we get a lot of Storm fans at KeyArena. We’ll get them at Hec Ed and probably some of the great UW fans as well.”

The Storm’s first game at Hec Ed will be Sunday, June 23 at 4 p.m. against the Indiana Fever. But it won’t be the first time that a Seattle professional sports team has made a UW venue its temporary home.

The SuperSonics played a total of 10 games at Hec Ed due to bookings at KeyArena (then known as the Seattle Center Coliseum) and the Kingdome. Six of those took place during the 1970-71 season, with two more happening during both the 1980 and 1987 NBA playoffs.

The Sonics lost both games in the 1980 Western Conference Finals to then-rookie Magic Johnson and the eventual NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers. In 1987, they defeated the Dallas Mavericks and UW alum Detlef Schrempf twice en route to a first-round series win.

The Seattle Seahawks played two full seasons at Husky Stadium in 2000 and 2001, going a combined 15-17 and failing to make the playoffs both years.

Former UW quarterback Brock Huard made his first start as a professional at his college home field — a 37-24 loss to the Indianapolis Colts in which he threw for three touchdowns. Huard started four games for the Seahawks in 2000 in place of Jon Kitna.

In all but two seasons since their inaugural one in 2013, Seattle Reign FC has paid an annual visit to Husky Soccer Stadium for an exhibition with the Washington women’s soccer team.

Last month, the Reign easily handled the Huskies, winning the match 5-0.

“This game’s always a difficult game for us, but it’s always a great game to get to play, and we feel really privileged to have a professional team in our town that wants to play us,” UW head coach Lesle Gallimore said following the match.

The Storm have 12 games scheduled at Hec Ed throughout the summer, with the headliner being a visit by the Las Vegas Aces in July, when former UW star Kelsey Plum will play for the first time in that arena since she was donning the purple and gold.

Reach reporter Jordan Duncan at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JordanDuncan43