Huskies sweep ASU, move on to Pac-12 semis

• 0

Senior Stacey Fung and her doubles partner, Nika Zupancic, get ready for a serve in Washington's April 14 match against UCLA.

The No. 13 Washington women's tennis team defeated No. 38 Arizona State 4-0 on Thursday to advance to the Pac-12 semifinals. 

The Huskies (19-3, 8-2) were tested early, but strong performances in doubles and mentally strong singles play helped them pull out the victory. Both teams came ready to play, and it took four hours for the Dawgs to finally come out victorious.

The Huskies have now beaten seven ranked teams this season.

In doubles, senior Stacey Fung and Nika Zupancic had one of their best performances of the season, taking down the No. 1 doubles team in the country, Lauryn John-Baptiste and Ilze Hattingh. Fung and Zupancic battled to win their set 7-6, and clinch the doubles point to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead.

Sophomore Vanessa Wong, playing at No. 2 singles, was the first match to go final, defeating No. 103 Lauryn John-Baptiste in straight sets 6-3, 6-4. Wong remains atop the UW leaderboard in wins at 18-4 in singles play this season.

The fourth point of the night was clinched by Zupancic, who defeated Samantha Alicea 6-3, 7-6. The two were tied at six in the second set tiebreaker, and Zupancic was able to win the next two points to win the breaker 8-6 and clinch the match for the Huskies.

Junior Natsuho Arakawa also found success at No. 4 singles, beating Sammi Hampton 6-3, 7-5. Arakawa is an impressive 14-4 this season when playing in singles.

The Huskies now move on to face No. 2 seed UCLA on Friday at 3 p.m. in the Pac-12 semifinals.

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @cadenmconder

Like what you’re reading? Support high-quality student journalism by donating here