Huskies lose to Cougars again

• 0
Melgoza

Amber Melgoza scored 15 points in the UW's loss to WSU to be the only Washington player in double figures.

For the second time this season, the Washington women’s basketball team fell to Washington State, this time in a blowout, 94-61.

The Huskies put together a good quarter and a half, and at one point in the second quarter the deficit was just two, despite terrible shooting numbers. However, from that point on, the Cougars went on a scoring spree, and the Huskies couldn’t put the ball through the hoop.

Trailing by 16 at halftime, the UW scored their first points off the second half with 5:03 to go in the third quarter on a Khayla Rooks three. By then, it was already over; the Cougs held a 54-30 advantage.

Heading into the game, the Dawgs were down two key cogs in their scheme, guards Missy Peterson and T.T. Watkins, who didn’t make the trip due to head injuries. That left just four healthy guards on the UW roster: Amber Melgoza, Jenna Moser, Alexis Griggsby, and Montana Hagstrom.

Against one of the strongest guard teams in the conference, that didn’t bode well for the Huskies. Washington State’s trio of Borislava Hristova, Chanelle Molina and Alexys Swedlund scored a combined 47 points and also contributed to 29 assists on 34 made baskets.

Next up, the Huskies will stay on the road and take on the mountain schools, Colorado and Utah, next weekend.

Reach Assistant Sports Editor Alec Dietz at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @AlecDietz