The season came to an end Wednesday afternoon for the No. 40 Washington women’s golf team, as it fell out the top six in the 2017 NCAA Albuquerque Regionals. The reigning national champions entered the final day of competition on the cutoff, but dropped two places at the Championship Course to finish in eighth place (27-over 891).  

Sophomore Julianne Alvarez was the driving force behind the UW’s success over the first two days. She entered the last 18 holes of play tied for second place (3-under 141) after carding eight birdies. However, her streak of even-par or better ended in the last round. Alvarez dropped 16 spots on the individual leaderboard and finished tied for 18th place (5-over 221).

Alvarez only recorded one birdie Wednesday while marking her scorecard with seven bogeys and one double bogey.

Fellow sophomore Wenyung Keh was the only Husky to shoot even-par or better. She bumped up 16 places after shooting even-par 72 on the last day. Keh earned her fifth top-15 finish.  

At the turn, Keh was even-par 36 after two birdies and two bogeys on the front nine. She finished the round shooting par through the final nine holes to put her tournament total at 4-over 220 to tie for 14th place.

The experience the returning golfers brought to the tournament made itself apparent on the scorecards. Sophomore Sarah Rhee was the last of the five-woman roster to finish within the top 50.  

Rhee’s final round would be the worst of the three, as she finished 6-over 78. She tied Alvarez for the most bogeys of any Husky on the day (seven), which moved her to a five-way tie for 38th place (10-over 226).

Freshmen Karen Miyamoto and Ellen Takada rounded out the roster by tying for 62nd and 83rd place, respectively.

Miyamoto had her best performance of the week, carding 3-over 75. After shooting par in the first three holes to open the final round, she recorded a birdie on the par-4 fourth hole. Three bogeys and a lot of pars later, she would get her second and final birdie on the par-3 11th hole. She tied with four other golfers with a tournament total of 14-over 230.

Takada recovered nicely from her opening round and shot even-par 72 Tuesday. However, she would shoot over par once more in the final round to finish 20-over 236. Two double bogeys plagued her the last day, and she shared the 83rd spot with only one other golfer.

With Washington’s season at an end, the Huskies won’t take the course again until autumn 2017.

Reach reporter Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez