Washington rowing aims for three in a row at Pac-12 Championships

• 0
190504_MD_Windermere_5

Washington's women's second varsity eight came in third in the Windermere Cup with a time of 6:21.183.

The 2019 postseason for the Washington men and women’s crews kicks off Sunday in Gold River, California, on Lake Natoma. The Huskies have their eyes on a three-peat at the Pac-12 Championships after coming away as champions in 2017 and 2018.

Both the men and women’s programs are coming off their respective wins against Germany’s national teams in the Windermere Cup two weeks ago.

The UW men and women have championship finals (no heats or semifinals) in the varsity four, the novice/freshman eight, as well as the first, second, and third varsity eight.

Washington’s women are part of a Pac-12 conference that showcases the top three rowing teams in the nation, along with No. 2 California, and No. 3 Stanford. Beyond that, USC is ranked No. 13 and Oregon State comes in at No. 19 to round out five Pac-12 schools in the top 20.

For the men’s championship, No. 2 Washington and No. 4 California are the Pac-12 headliners, joined by No. 13 Stanford and No. 17 Oregon.

The scoring for the Pac-12 Championships awards crews a particular number of points per race, depending on where they place. The Pac-12 champion is crowned by scoring the most total team points.

Reach reporter Evan Wong at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @evan_wong29