No. 2 Washington set for West Coast special in annual Cal Dual

• 0

The men's third varsity eight rows down the Montlake Cut at the Husky Open on March 30, 2019.

The Washington men’s rowing team returns to the water this weekend against Cal after having a week off from competition.

The No. 2 UW men head into the Washington-Cal Dual with plenty of momentum after coming off wins over Northeastern, Stanford, and Oregon State. One of the most heralded men’s collegiate rowing regattas on the West Coast will take place at 9 a.m. this Saturday on the Montlake Cut.

The Huskies will welcome the fourth-ranked varsity eight in the country, the Golden Bears, in four races with the first, second, and third varsity eights in addition to the freshman eight.

“We always look forward to this weekend,” UW coach Michael Callahan said. “The boathouse always has an extra bit of energy to it. [Cal] always brings out the best in us.

“This is kind of the midyear test. We need to have a real accurate feeling of where we are in the season. If you can row well against [Cal], then you’re in a pretty good spot.”

Washington won four out of five races against Cal last season, winning all of the eights races and finishing behind Cal by just over a second in the varsity four. Later in the season, the Huskies won the 2018 Pac-12 championship, beating the Bears in four out of five (all but the freshman eight).

The Washington-California men’s varsity eight dual series started in 1903, with 107 meetings between the two schools. The Schoch Cup is at stake for the Huskies and the Bears in the varsity eight race.

Washington holds a 74-32-1 record and won eight in a row prior to California’s victories from 2015 through 2017. The UW regained the Cup last year.

Reach reporter Evan Wong at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @evan_wong29