In their first large meet of the season, the Washington cross country team was more than able to hold their own against non-regional competition.

Led again by senior Maddie Meyers, whose 29th-place finish was 11 spots better than one year ago, the UW women finished in eighth place. Sophomores Katie Knight and Anna Maxwell wound up side-by-side in 52nd and 53rd.

The UW women came in ranked No. 10 in the nation, their highest ranking since sitting at No. 4 early in the 2013 season. However, today they were jumped by 11th-ranked Arkansas, 17th-ranked Virginia, and 12th-ranked North Carolina State, who beat out the UW and three other top-10 teams to finish in second, third, and fourth, respectively. No. 1 New Mexico smashed the competition with five runners in the top 10 en route to a 156-point victory.

Junior Kaylee Flanagan returned after missing the Washington Invitational two weeks ago, and finished fourth among the UW runners. Freshman Charlotte Prouse, who thus far has finished second on the team at all of the previous meets, was pulled out before finishing due to illness.

For the men, senior Izaic Yorks continued his sensational season, finishing in seventh place. His time of 23:39 was only 4.8 seconds behind the leader, and despite the race heating up in the last two kilometers, he was able to hang with the lead pack.

Strong performances from sophomore Andrew Gardner, senior Tyler King, and the rest of the men’s team, vaulted the Huskies to a 13th-place finish..

The UW’s next race will be the Pac-12 Championships hosted by rival Washington State in Colfax, Wash., on Oct. 30. The meet will be aired on the Pac-12 Networks, beginning at 10:30a.m.

Reach writer Aaron Huang at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @aaron_c_huang