A strong finish moved the Washington women’s golf team up to finish tied for fifth place at the Nanea Pac-12 Preview. With a score of 301-292, the team scored even with Colorado at 593. Karen Miyamoto led the team in scoring with a score of +2 on the first day and +1 on the second for a final score of +3 for the tournament.

Lightning and rain brought an abrupt end to tournament play, but everyone except for USC was able to finish their games. UCLA took top spot followed by Stanford, Cal, and USC.  

Washington was able to beat out No. 4 Arizona State, and for the second straight week had at least two golfers finish in the top 20. Following the sophomore Karen Miyamoto, juniors Wenyung Keh and Julianne Alvarez tied for 20th overall. 

Freshman Rino Sasaki dropped from her 17th place finish at Stanford to 38th at Nanea, and junior Sarah Rhee finished at +6 to tie for 35th. Karen Miyamoto showed particular strength on one hole, getting one of only three eagles in the tournament. 

This tournament shows promise for the upcoming season as Washington continues to place within the top 10 by way of a variety of team members. 

The Huskies will be out of the tee box until February when they begin their season play. After a healthy stretch of tournaments, they should be warmed up to make a run for the NCAA Championship, something in recent memory and well within their grasps this year. 

Reach contributing writer Elie Klasky-Gamer sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @elieklaskygamer