In the inaugural race of the Powells’ tenure in charge of the Washington cross country team, the Huskies gave their new coaches exactly what they were looking for.

“They did what we intended for them to do,” director Maurica Powell told GoHuskies.com.

While she was referring specifically to the women’s half of the race, head coach Andy Powell was equally happy with the men.

“We checked the box of getting a race in and it was a good effort.” he said. “It's the first time for me really seeing these guys race, so [I’m] still just getting to know them, but I think it was solid."

For the women, junior transfer Katie Rainsberger was the first Husky runner across the finish line, coming in 10th overall with a time of 21:17.50. Senior Emily Hamlin was right behind her, finishing just eight seconds and two places behind Rainsberger in 12th.

Rainsberger wasn’t the only one making her Washington debut. Donning the purple and gold for the first time, true freshman Olivia O’Keeffe placed third for the Huskies in 21st in 21:51.10, a second before sophomore Allie Schadler in 22nd. Redshirt freshman Sarah Carter rounded out the top five in her first race for the Huskies by finishing in 23rd place with a time of 22:01.50.

“They rain in pairs and ran the paces they were supposed to run,” Maurica Powell said. “We were trying to just lay down a threshold effort. This week capped off a summer of volume and tempo work. Our really hard training block starts now and we'll start more with specific race preparation.”

The Husky women finished 3rd overall with 73 points, behind No. 5 Boise State and Pac-12 rivals Oregon State. The Broncos claimed the top four spots, led by junior Allie Ostrander who finished the race in 20:21.70. Seven of the top nine and 10 of the top 15 were Boise State runners.

For the men, Sophomore Tibebu Proctor led the Huskies with his eighth-place finish at  24:30.00, and was also the first non-Boise State runner across the line. Junior Julius Diehr was one place behind Proctor in ninth, while sophomore Nick Laccinole ended up in 13th. Redshirt freshman Chase Equall, also making his first Washington appearance, finished in 15th, and sophomore Nate Beamer, who crossed the finish line in 18th, rounded out the scoring positions.

The Washington men finished behind no. 24 Boise State, who swept the event. Led by senior Yusuke Uchikoshi, who picked up the individual win with a 24:17.20 time, the Broncos dominated. Aside from Proctor and Diehr, the top 11 finishers were all Boise State.

The Huskies will be off for awhile after the weekend. The men’s next competition will be on Sept. 21 in Boston when they race at the Battle in Beantown. A week later, the women are going to be in Palo Alto, Calif. on Sept. 29 when they participate in the Stanford Invitational.

Reach reporter Andy Yamashita at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @ANYamashita