Gallimore announces retirement after 2019 season

• 0
Gallimore

Head coach Lesle Gallimore roams the sidelines during the UW's match on Oct. 22, 2017 against UCLA. Gallimore announced Tuesday that the 2019 season will be her last on Montlake.

Washington women’s soccer head coach Lesle Gallimore has announced that 2019 will be her last season with the Purple and Gold.

Gallimore, just the second head coach in program history for the UW, wrapped up her 25th season with the Huskies this past fall, and led the team to a 8-10-1 record, finishing 10th in Pac-12 play.

Heading into her final season, Gallimore holds a 258-211-47 record during her tenure at the UW. The Huskies have appeared in the NCAA tournament 14 times under Gallimore and have reached the Elite Eight in 2004 and 2010.

"I am beyond grateful to have been a part of this first-class academic institution for the bulk of my career,” Gallimore said in a statement. "When all is said and done I will have numerous people to thank, but for now I want to express my heartfelt thanks to my staff, my family and all of the strong and determined women whom I've had the great honor to coach."

Gallimore’s influence has extended beyond Seattle; she is currently the president of the United Soccer Coaches organization, and has been a NSCAA national staff coach since 1995.

“Lesle has been a staple and trusted colleague within our department for two and a half decades," UW athletic director Jen Cohen said in a statement. "She is a great ambassador for women's soccer and has been recognized on many levels for her contributions to the sport. Lesle has always been devoted to developing her student-athletes on and off the field and has held a high standard for excellence in the classroom and in life."

Having only lost three seniors this past year, Gallimore will look to lead the Huskies to another successful season during her final fall with the team. Notable returners include leading goal scorer Olivia Van der Jagt, 2018 team captain Taylor Sekyra, and forward Summer Yates, who chipped in three goals and two assists during her freshman year.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy