Pro Husky Highlights: Murphy makes an impact, Taylor makes the cut

• 0

Byron Murphy Jr. receives the Pac-12 Championship MVP award from Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott. Now with the Arizona Cardinals, Murphy has played a crucial part in the past few weeks. 

Athletes don’t stop repping the UW after they leave Seattle. Welcome to this week’s edition of Pro Husky Highlights, where The Daily recaps the exploits of former Washington athletes every Monday while we wait for the return of college athletics.

Byron Murphy: Arizona Cardinals, NFL

The Arizona Cardinals took down the Dallas Cowboys in a dominant defensive performance starring former Washington cornerback Byron Murphy. Since being drafted in 2019, Murphy has slotted into the Cardinals defense as a starter. 

In his first Monday Night Football appearance, the former Huskies corner completed seven tackles and recovered a fumble. Murphy was tasked with a tough matchup against star rookie receiver CeeDee Lamb, whom he held to 64 yards. The Cardinals defense, led by Murphy and fellow former Husky Budda Baker, held the Cowboys to only 10 points.

Murphy burst onto the radar of NFL scouts after an impressive sophomore season with the Huskies, recording 58 total tackles in 14 games. That same season, the Huskies went on to win the Pac-12 Championship and earned their first Rose Bowl appearance since 2001. 

Nick Taylor: PGA

After being cut from his previous two tournaments this October, Nick Taylor tied for 61st in the CJ Cup. The Winnipeg native had a total of 16 birdies in the tournament, joint-25th most. 

Taylor had an impressive 2020 season, coming in first place in a tournament on the PGA Tour for the second time in his career. In addition to winning the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am in February, he made the cut 11 times out of the 18 tournaments he played.

Taylor was the average stroke leader for three straight seasons at Washington before turning pro in 2010. As one of the best all-time golfers to play for the Huskies, Taylor also has the fourth most all-time top ten finishes, in addition to ranking third among all-time UW medalists. Taylor played in last weekend’s ZOZO championship and tied for 63rd. 

Reach reporter Luka Kučan at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @luka_kucan

Like what you’re reading? Support high quality student journalism by donating here.