Washington sneaks past Seattle U in cross-town rivalry game

• 0

The Washington women's basketball team wrapped up its longest road trip of the season with a 69-58 win over Seattle U. This game marks the 21st meeting of the two teams in program history with the Huskies (4-3) winning 14 straight games against the Redhawks (0-7) to push their overall record against their cross-town rivals to 18-3.

This annual meeting for the two Seattle teams was a hard-fought contest on both sides but a 21-0 run for Washington in the second quarter is sealed the game’s fate, even despite a second half which the Redhawks won 36-31.

The Huskies put pressure on Seattle U with a full-court press and fast offensive transitioning to go up 17-11 after a quarter, but the Redhawks held their own. With the fast transitioning up the court came some sloppy turnovers for The Huskies.

Sophomore guard Missy Petersonhad three three-pointers in the first half in a game fueled by shots beyond the arc. Another bright spot in the play from the Dawgs was their rebounding, specifically their offensive rebounding that came from crashing the boards hard. Washington had seven offensive boards in the first half while Seattle U had three.

In the third quarter, the Huskies went into a lull and the Redhawks capitalized and cut their deficit from 21 to nine, but the UW gained back their composure and were up by 13 going into the final frame.

In the end, Washington held their own and got the win despite a solid effort from the Redhawks and an impressive second half performance fueled by 17 points from junior guard Kamira Sanders.

For the Dawgs, junior guard Amber Melgoza carried the team with 29 points and help from Peterson who contributed 18. Senior guard Jenna Moser also had eight points to help secure the victory.

Washington has finally concluded their five-game, 5,262-mile road trip that took them to Louisiana, Florida and now back to Seattle. The Huskies now have their next six games at home.

Reach reporter Madison MacPhee atsports@dailyuw.com . Twitter: @madison_macphee