Despite making an early charge up the leaderboard, the No. 25 Washington men’s golf team settled back into eighth place after an 8-over 358 performance in Tuesday’s second round of the Western Intercollegiate at Pasatiempo Golf Course in Santa Cruz, Calif.

“We actually played really solidly,” head coach Matt Thurmond said. “It was so tough out there and there was a lot of goofy stuff on the greens that turned easy pars into bogeys and doubles.”

No. 9 Stanford posted an 8-under 347 team score, the best of the day, to take over Oregon’s top spot in the team standings. The UW sits at 14-over 714 through 36 holes, one stroke back from seventh-place California and 22 strokes from the first-place Cardinal.

Junior Corey Pereira followed up his first round 2-under 68 score with a 1-over 71 performance in the second round. Pereira continues to hold the UW’s lowest score, and is tied for eighth individually moving into Wednesday’s third and final round.

Sophomore Frank Garber matched his day one score of 2-over 71, bumping him up five spots on the leaderboard to tie for 24th. Garber was sitting at 1-under through 13 holes, but would bogey two of his last five to finish the day 1-over.

Freshman Carl Yuan also shot 1-over 7, gaining some ground in the standings to tie for 30th. The rookie was 2-under heading into his final hole after recording four birdies on the day, but a triple bogey on the 11th plagued his second round score.

Ten spots behind Yuan is senior Jonathan Sanders, whose 3-over 73 dropped him to a tie for 40th individually. Senior Chris Babcock was off to a hot start, but bogeys on four of his final five holes brought him to a 2-over 72 finish. Babcock is tied for 47th heading into the final 18 holes of the tournament.

The sixth spot of the UW lineup was taken by junior Kevin Kwon, who matched his 9-over 79 first round score in the second to tie for 84th on the leaderboard.

“We didn’t get rattled and just kept plugging away,” Thurmond said. “We looked good.”

Following a 11-under 63 first round score, Oregon sophomore Aaron Wise shot another impressive round at 4-under 66 to hang on to the top spot of the leaderboard by a single stroke.

The UW will seek to gain ground in the tough 14-team field during the third round of the tournament beginning at 8:45 a.m. Wednesday. The Huskies will be paired with Texas El Paso.

Reach reporter Cody Tyo at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @codytyo