Samuel Richmond puts his stamp on the UW-WSU rivalry

• 0
Track

Samuel Richmond lept a new personal record of 23 feet and 7.5 inches in the long jump, coming in just his second attempt.

Richmond is a junior transfer from Central Washington, and he also spent time at Long Beach State before coming to Washington, making this his first taste of Apple Cup rivalry. The Bellevue-native was very aware of the magnitude of this rivalry.

“I watched all UW sports growing up, been a big UW fan, my parents went here, my brother played football here, so I know the rivalry between WSU and UW is big, so it was fun for me to finally come out here and compete and be in one of these rivalries,” Richmond said.

His father was also a member of the UW track and field team, a four-year letterman during his time in Seattle.

Not only did he PR, Richmond also grabbed first in the long jump, earning five points for the Huskies on the way to their 95-59 victory over the rival Cougars.

The standout jumped in during the indoor season and put up a former personal best of 23 feet and 4.32 inches in the Washington Indoor Last Chance College Elite Invitational. Today’s mark was around a three-inch improvement, despite having to deal with unfavorable weather conditions.

“To be honest nothing really changes for me, it really just comes down to just doing the same thing I’ve been doing, because I know I just trust my form, and trust the process and everything I’ve been doing, and what my coaches tell me, and that doesn’t change based on the weather,” Richmond said.

During today’s meet, jumps coach Toby Stevenson was helping pole vaulters inside Dempsey Indoor, leaving the other jumpers without their main coach.

“We have someone helping out, Tim Duckworth, and he helped me out and he knows what he’s doing,” Richmond said.

Duckworth also helped out another jumper in Jaylen Taylor who took home first in the triple jump, with a mark of 48 feet and 2.5 inches in his fifth attempt.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy