Huskies open regular season slate in Hawaii

• 0
Wong

Vanessa Wong reached the second round of the NCAA tournament last season.

The beginning of tennis season often surprises fans, who wouldn’t normally associate the frigid winter air with the sounds of racquet striking ball. 

The Washington women’s tennis team is the first to play, and will see its first live action in almost two months Thursday, as the Huskies head to Honolulu to compete in the three-day Weinman Foundation Invitational.

This will be their first road trip of the winter, and the Huskies are looking to build off the momentum gained from the 2017-18 season.

Last season, the Huskies as a team narrowly missed out on the NCAA tournament, yet were able to qualify three players for the individual singles and doubles tournaments. Stacey Fung, Vanessa Wong, and senior Miki Kobayashi all qualified and participated in the postseason tournament. 

Fung and Wong had success in the tournament, both winning their first singles matches before falling in the second round. Fung was named an ITA All-American, and Wong amassed second-team all-Pac-12 honors.

The Huskies will rely on Fung and Wong all season as they use their valuable tournament experience to lead a young UW squad to a resurgent year. 

There’s plenty to be excited about heading into the new season, and look for new faces in the program to step up and surprise. One freshman who could make an impact this year is Sedona Gallagher, a 5-star recruit out of Henderson, Nev., who was rated No. 1 in the 2018 class.

The Huskies’ home opener will be against Portland on Jan. 25.

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @cadenmconder