Lee

Freshman Henry Lee lines up a shot.

The No. 30 Washington men’s golf team played late into Tuesday evening as the second round of the NCAA regional tournament experienced a rain delay.

The rain didn’t come as a surprise, seeing as the tournament is hosted by the UW and played at Aldarra Golf Club in Sammamish.The Huskies, along with 13 other schools, had to wait well past noon to commence play.

The wait seemed to do Washington some good, as it shot nearly 10 strokes better than its opening round. As a team, the Huskies shot 2-over par on the day, putting their tournament total at 13-over 581. With the top five teams advancing, the UW needs to knock off either Penn State or Alabama, both within three strokes for the Dawgs.

Junior Frank Garber had the best round out of the five-man roster, and was the only Husky to shoot under par on day two. He opened his round with a bogey on the par-4 10th hole, due to the split-tee start, but shortly recovered with a birdie on the par-5 12th hole.

Three birdies and two more bogeys after the turn put Garber at 1-under 70 on the day. He jumped 22 spots up the individual leaderboard and is now tied for 16th place (2-over 144).

Joining Garber in the eight-way tie is sophomore Carl Yuan. Yuan emerged as a leader on the first day of play, and still sits among the top of the pack after carding even-par 71. He improved after shooting two strokes over par Monday, and tied a team-high of four birdies to move up the leaderboard as well.

The remaining Huskies also had far better rounds on the second day of play. Senior Corey Pereira took one stroke off his tournament total after shooting 1-over 72, and currently sits tied for 24th place (3-over 145) on the individual leaderboard.

Freshmen Henry Lee and Daniel List both shot 4-over 75 in the first round, but recovered and dropped two and one stroke, respectively.

Lee’s only birdies came on the par-3 13th hole and the par-5 third hole. He shot up eight places for a spot in the tie for 37th place (6-over 148).

List rounds out the Husky roster sitting tied at 40th place (7-over 149). After shooting just one birdie Monday, he carded four Tuesday as he made his way through the par-71 6,885-yard course. Before the turn, List shot a double bogey on the par-4 18th hole and wasn’t able to fully recover as he shot four bogeys over the last nine holes.

Washington will play to keep its postseason alive tomorrow in the final round of the NCAA regionals. The UW will tee off from the first hole at 7:50 a.m., with Penn State and Alabama.

Reach reporter Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez