The Washington men’s golf team continued its fall conquest in Fairfax, Calif., on Monday. The Huskies played the first two rounds of the Alister MacKenzie Invitational at Meadow Club, finishing in eighth place at 16-under 552.

The UW was joined by 14 other teams including conference rivals Oregon State, Arizona State, and Cal. The Beavers and the Wildcats tied for third place at 20-under 548, while the Golden Bears finished behind the Huskies in a tie for ninth place (15-under 553).

Round one:

The men were steady in the first round, as three of the five Huskies competing shot even par or better in the first nine holes. Washington bounced up and down the leaderboard, at one point tying for 5th place with BYU 6-under 169.

The Huskies ended the first round 9-under 346, a score good enough to keep them in contention.

Senior Corey Pereira had the best scorecard after the first round, shooting 8-under 64. Pierria went bogey free through the first nine holes, opening with three consecutive birdies on holes one through three and another on the eighth hole to make the turn carding 4-under 31.

Pereira would finish with four more birdies and only one bogey to finish round one 7-under 64.

Freshman Sam Warkentin opened his first nine holes with three birdies and one bogey to go 2-under 33 on the turn. He started the back nine with a birdie on the 12th hole and finished bogey free, putting him behind Pierria with the next best score at 4-under 67.

Junior Frank Garber carded 2-under 69 for the first round after he offset his three bogeys with five birdies, three of which were on holes 13-15.

Freshman Henry Lee would have finished the first round at even par, but a double bogey on the 16th hole put him at 2-over 73 after the first 18 holes of play.

Junior Jordan Lu ended his front nine at even par, but after the turn Lu’s scorecard lit up as he carded four bogeys and two birdies to end at 1-over 73.

Round two:

The Huskies had a quick turnaround as they immediately started the second round once they finished the first round of 18. Washington dropped as low as 11th place, but rebounded to finish the day 16-under 552.

This time around, Pereira had to come back from 1-over 36 in the front nine if he wanted to finish under par. He answered the two bogeys he carded before the turn with two birdies on the 12th and 13th holes. He would end Monday’s play leading Washington’s roster tied for eighth place at 8-under 134.

Warkentin finished the day at 4-under 138 to claim a spot in the six way tie for 23th place. The Bainbridge Island native finished with three birdies, with a bogey on the third hole and a double bogey to end the day.

Garber finished the front nine at even par as his opening birdie made up for the bogey on the third hole. He would mirror that score to end the second round at even par for a score just outside the top-30. Garber finished the first two rounds tied for 34nd place after shooting 2-under 140.

Lee opened the second round with a clean scorecard by shooting even par through the front nine. After the turn, two bogeys and three birdies put Lee at 1-over 143 to tie for 53th place.

Lu answered his 2-over 73 first round score with six birdies and finished tied for 38th place at 1-under 141.

Washington tee off for the third and final round Tuesday morning.

Reach Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez