The Washington men’s golf team opened its 2016 season in Independence, Minn., at the Gopher Invitational and in a neighboring city, Maple Plain, at the invitational’s individual tournament.

The Huskies finished their first tournament under new head coach Alan Murray in 13th place shooting 37-over 889.

Round one and two | Saturday, Sept. 10 | Windsong Farm Golf Club

The first two rounds were in a continuous play format as the first round started at 7:30 a.m., and the second soon after each team finished its first 18 holes. The Huskies ended the first two rounds in 13th place at 25-over 593.

The UW’s five man roster was made up of seniors Kevin Kwon, Corey Pereira, and Frank Garber; junior Jordan Lu; and freshman Sam Warkentin.

Pereira, the No. 3 golfer, had the best opening round and led the UW after shooting 2-over 73 after the first 18 holes. He would continue on to the next round, improving his scorecard to 1-over 72. Pereira finished the day 3-over 145 and six strokes off the individual leader.

Three others would go on to post better scores during the second round Saturday, as Kwon shot a 3-over 74 and a 2-over 73 to finish two strokes behind Pereira at 5-over 147 on the day.

Lu bested his first round score of 6-over 77 in the first round to 3-over 74 in the second. He finished 9-over 151 to tie for 50th place with Warkentin. In Warkentin’s first collegiate tournament, he finished the day 9-over 151 (75-76).

Garber rounded out the Huskies’ day finishing 10-over 152 (76-76) and tied for 57th place.

Three of the UW’s golfers also competed in the individual tournament: sophomore Carl Yuan and freshmen Shamu Bodhidatta and Henry Lee. Yuan took one of the top spots, finishing tied fourth 2-under 142, making up on his first round, 1-over 73, by shooting 3-under 69 on his second.

Bodhidatta made it into the top 10 after the first two rounds, as he carded 1-over 145 (75-70) to join a tie for ninth place and Lee was two strokes behind in a tie for 14th after finishing 3-over 147 (75-72).

Round three | Saturday, Sept. 10 | Windsong Farm Golf Club

In the final day of competition, Pereira continued to lead the Huskies and joining him was newcomer, Warkentin.

The pair finished the two-day three-round event tied for 27th at 7-over 220. Warkentin jumped 23 spots on the leaderboard after carding 2-under 69 in the final day, tying for Sunday’s lowest round.

Garber also climbed up the leaderboard, moving 16 spots thanks to his final round of 2-over 73. He finished the tournament tied for 41st place at 12-over 225. Kwon ended the day one stroke behind Garber at 13-over 225, while Lu finished tied for 63rd place, 18-over 231.

In the individual competition, Yuan’s final round of 1-over 217 moved him back to finish in a tie for 8th place. Lee, however, jumped a spot from his first two rounds to finish in 13th place, 7-over 223. Bodhidatta ended the tournament tied for 17th place after carding 10-over 226.

The UW will return to competition Sept. 23 in Albuquerque, N.M., for the William H. Tucker Invitational.

Reach Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez