171012_CC_MSoccer_Townsend

Sophomore midfielder Jaret Townsend dribbles past a Santa Clara defender in the Huskies' 4-3 win over the Broncos.

For the second year in a row, the No.19 Washington men’s soccer team emerged from Laird Q. Cagan Stadium without a loss on their record.

But that doesn’t mean they got the UW result it wanted.

After two overtime periods, the Huskies (9-3-1, 2-1-1 Pac-12) and Cardinal (9-2-1, 3-0-1 Pac-12) played to a 1-1 draw, the first tie for the Dawgs since November 6, 2015, when they played San Diego State to a 1-1 result.

This game was in danger of being postponed or cancelled due to poor air quality in the Stanford area. However, the air quality index improved throughout the day Thursday and campus athletic officials deemed the air quality was satisfactory enough to play the game at its scheduled time.

In the sixth minute, redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Saif Kerawala attempted to clear the ball away from his goal, but Stanford senior forward Foster Langsdorf came charging in to block the clearance, but to the UW’s relief, nothing resulted from the danger.

The Huskies were first into the goal column, when in the 26th minute a header by junior defender Quentin Pearson was blocked, but sophomore forward Elijah Rice headed the ball into the corner of the net to give the Dawgs the early advantage.

Late in the first half, the Cardinal made an aggressive push at Kerawala’s goal, as shots by junior midfielder Amir Bashti, freshman forward Jack O’Brien, and redshirt freshman midfielder Marc Joshua were all blocked in the 43rd minute amid a scramble in the box.

But this was only a preview of the onslaught Stanford would unleash on Washington’s end of the field in the second half. After redshirt junior forward Kyle Coffee volleyed a shot on goal in the opening minute of the half that forced redshirt senior goalkeeper Nico Corti to make a save, the Cardinal proceeded to dominate the game.

The UW struggled to take possession of the ball away from the home team, and they were outshot 10-2 the rest of the half. Stanford’s efforts were rewarded in the 53rd minute, when Corti played a ball over the top from his goalkeeper position, and the ball bounced through the UW defense to defender Tomas Hilliard-Arce, who passed the ball over to senior midfielder Drew Skundrich for the tying goal.

The Cardinal continued to attack the goal late on in the first 90 minutes, but the Huskies were able to repel their efforts to take the lead and sent the game into overtime.

In the first overtime period, freshman midfielder Blake Bodily had a couple chances at goal, but Corti came up clutch and sent Bodily’s two attempts away.

Twenty seconds into the second overtime, sophomore midfielder Handwalla Bwana sent a ball up ahead to Rice, but Corti once again cut the ball off to end the chance, and 10 minutes later the game was over.

After sitting out Sunday’s game against UCLA with an ankle injury, Bwana returned to the starting lineup for the Huskies. But his impact on the game was minimal, only attempting one shot.

Washington will finish out its two-game road trip on Sunday against California.

Reach reporter Chris Angkico at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @chrisangkico