180422_MD_WGolf

Junior Sarah Rhee drives the ball down the fairway at the Pac-12 Championships. Rhee's total score of 135 leads Washington through two rounds.

The No. 15 Washington women’s golf team couldn’t maintain its momentum from a historic first day at the Tallahassee Regional, but still ended the day in second place at the Don Veller Seminole Golf Club.

The Huskies shot 1-over 289 in their second round to bring their tournament score to 14-under 562, allowing No. 2 Alabama to overtake them at the top spot with a day-best 12-under 276.

Junior Wenyung Key, whose Monday performance was the best in UW history, had a rough start on Tuesday as she carded five bogeys on the front nine. She came back to break even on the back nine, but her 5-over 72 day dropped her from first place individually to ninth. 

Sarah Rhee posted her second straight score under 70, going 2-under on both the front and back nines to wrap up play Tuesday with a score of 4-under 68. Despite her score being a stroke worse than yesterday, she moved up in the standings into a tie for second.

Sophomore Karen Miyamoto broke under par after shooting a 78 on Monday, ending play with her third birdie of the second round to finish 1-under 71 and rise all the way up into a tie for 48th.

Junior Julianne Alvarez dropped from 10th to 25th, shooting 1-over 73. Freshman Rino Sasaki fell into a tie for 60th, carding a 5-over 78 round.

Washington was one of two teams in the top eight to go over par on the round, but the UW’s great day yesterday still has the Dawgs in a good position to advance. The Huskies have to finish in the top six in Tallahassee to move on to NCAA Championship, and they currently lead seventh-place Clemson by 12 shots.

Play will wrap up Wednesday at 9:50 a.m. PT. 

Reach Sports Editor Josh Kirshenbaum at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @J_Kirshenbaum