Wilson, Patricelli, Stanovsek, Smith kick off NCAA Championships for UW

• 0

Chase Smith finished in 15th place in the men's pole vault to earn second-team All-America honors.

The Huskies started off strong on the first day at the NCAA Championships, as multiple Huskies were awarded All-American honors and one is on his way to finals in Austin, Texas.

Junior Mick Stanovsek was the first athlete to advance as he placed fourth in his heat and overall with a time of 3:44.50 in the 1500 meter semifinals. Through his decorated career, he has not had a All-American First team honor for an individual event. He will have a chance to make first team, and go for the national title on Friday.

In his first and last nationals appearance, senior Denham Patricelli placed eighth in the javelin finals to get first team All-American honors with a mark of 232 feet and 10 inches and earn a podium spot. It’s Washington’s first podium finish in men’s javelin since Quinn Hale in 2014.

Junior Chase Smith finished 15th in the pole vault finals with a 17-foot, 6.5-inch clearance, good for second-team All-American honors. Smith was able to vault over the first two, but was not able to clear the 18 feet, 0.5 inch bar. For the past two seasons, Smith had his outdoor seasons derailed by injury. After adding two All-American Second Team honors for the pole vault in the indoor season in the past two years, Smith can add his first All-American second team honor for the outdoor season to his resume. 

The day ended with sophomore Jonah Wilson finishing 16th in the shot put finals with a 61-foot, 9-inch throw to earn his first first Second Team All-America honors. He was the first Husky in the NCAA shot put field since 2000.

The NCAA Championships will resume tomorrow with six more Huskies participating. Coverage for running events will be on ESPN2, and field events on ESPN3.

Reach reporter Daniel Li at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @Daniel_Li7