UW closes out season with a loss to WSU

• 0
Dumesnil

Pascale Dumesnil shields off a defender in Washington's game against Cal. The senior score Washington's lone goal in the Huskies' 3-1 loss in their season finale at WSU.

The Washington women’s soccer team was unable to overcome first-half struggles in a 3-1 defeat to Washington State.

The Huskies (8-10-1, 3-8 Pac-12) faced offensive troubles again; it took them 30 minutes to get a shot off, and nearly the entire first half to get a shot on goal.

WSU jumped out out on top early, with Morgan Weaver giving her team the edge in 11th minute.

That goal was part of the offensive pressure applied by the Cougars (12-5-1, 5-5-1 Pac-12) in the first half. They created eight corner kicks and sent 11 shots toward keeper Siena Ruelas. The junior was able to secure three saves in the first 45 minutes and two more in the second half, bringing her season total up to 73.

Early in the second half, the Dawgs found themselves down 2-0 after another Weaver goal. That score held for just a minute until senior Pascale Dumesnil marched down to field and fired a shot towards the bottom left of the net to bring the Dawgs within one.

This was Dumsnil’s third goal of the season, and her first since Sept. 16.

Tonight’s match had the physicality of a rivalry game with 21 total fouls piling up as well as four yellow card and the first red card Washington has seen this season, given to WSU’s Mak Gomera-Stevens.

The red card presented an opportunity for Washington, with Washington State being forced to play with only 10 players for the remaining 17 minutes.

It would be the Cougars who would score in that time, and Weaver’s third goal of the night came in the 88th minute and closed the door on the Huskies’ comeback.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy