The Washington men’s golf team will head back to the course this week in its first tournament of 2017. 

The Huskies have spent just over two months off due to winter weather conditions, but will have little problem with inclement weather this weekend when they travel to Tuscon, Ariz., to compete in the 2017 Arizona Intercollegiate.

The two-day, 54-hole tournament will match the UW up with host school Arizona and five other conference foes, including the reigning national champion, Oregon. Joining the competition are No. 8 Texas A&M, Iowa State, and University of Texas El Paso.  

The Sewailo Golf Club will host the intercollegiate tournament for the fourth consecutive year, and this will be the Huskies second straight year competing at the par-71 7,262 yard course. 

Last season, Washington finished second (4-under 848) after two days in the desert. Junior Frank Garber was the highest placing Husky, and the runner-up in last year’s contest. His 6-under 204 second place finish is his best score since the end of January 2016.  

Garber and sophomore Carl Yuan will be the only Huskies returning to Sewailo Golf Club, and will be joined by freshmen Sam Warkentin and Henry Lee, as well as senior Corey Pereira.

Pereira and Warkentin have led the Huskies so far this season and will hope to continue their success in the 2017 season. Lee has had a rocky start as part of the five-man roster, finishing in the top 15 just once this season. 

Washington will continue its season with two more tournaments in February. Staying clear of stormy Seattle, the Huskies will be traveling to Lihue, Hi., and Querencia, Mexico next month for two three-day tournaments.

But before it can move on to even warmer climates, the UW will have to complete its two-day stint in Arizona beginning at 7 a.m. PST Monday.

Reach Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez