Hopkins agrees to six-year contract

• 0
Hopkins

Head coach Mike Hopkins calls to his players during Washington's win over Colorado in the semifinals of the Pac-12 Tournament.

In his first two years as Washington’s head coach, Mike Hopkins has exceeded expectations across the board, leading the program to back-to-back 20-win seasons and an NCAA Tournament appearance. Now, he gets a deal that will extend his stay with the Huskies until at least 2025.

First reported by Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports, the two-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year came to terms on an extension.

“I couldn’t be happier to be at the University of Washington and am so thankful for the leadership we have under both President Ana Mari Cauce and Athletic Director Jen Cohen,” Hopkins said in a press release. “I’ve always said ‘people, place and potential’ matter and Washington is exactly where I want to be. Our program is surrounded by great people and we’ve made some great strides in our first two years here.”

When Hopkins first arrived at Washington, he agreed to a six-year, $12.3 million deal after a 22-year run as an assistant coach at Syracuse. This new extension further solidifies the school’s commitment to his regime, and it’s safe to say it’s worked out pretty well so far.

Hopkins’ Washington team will face off against Utah State in its first NCAA Tournament game since 2011 on Friday at 3:50 p.m.

Reach reporter Chris Angkico at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @chrisangkico