Huskies road woes continue at Indiana

• 0

The Washington men’s tennis team fell to Indiana on Sunday in a 4-0 loss, returning home with two tough road losses this weekend. 

The Huskies (3-7) continue to struggle outside of Seattle, as they are now 0-6 on the road this season.

A good sign from Sunday’s match was the play of seniors Enzo Sommer and Piers Foley. Neither player was able to complete their match because Indiana had clinched their fourth point, but both were in positions to win. Before the match was called, Sommer was down 4-6, 3-4, but fighting back in his match. Foley was in a strong position to win his match as well, as he was up 6-4, 6-5 against Indiana’s Bennet Crane at No. 2 singles. 

Another strong performer Sunday was freshman Ernesto Turegano, who was winning his match 7-6, 4-3 before Indiana clinched the victory. Senior Kawika Lam, sophomore Jack Davis, and freshman Ewen Lumsden all took losses in singles to give the Hoosiers a three-point advantage.

The Huskies very nearly took the critical doubles point, as it came down to the duo of Jack Davis and Piers Foley, matched up against Indiana’s Brandon Lam and Carson Haskins. Davis and Foley took the set to a tiebreaker, where they were defeated by a final score of 6-7 (6-8). Winning close matches like these will be essential to the Huskies improvement moving forward.

The Huskies return home for a final tune-up before conference play when they face San Diego on Thursday, Mar. 7.

Reach Reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @cadenmconder