Huskies continue to roll, breeze past San Jose State

• 0

The Washington women’s tennis team continued its winning ways Saturday, wrapping up its two game road-trip by beating San Jose State 4-1.

The Huskies (9-1) improved to 3-0 on the road this season and handed the Spartans their first loss of the year, dominating in doubles play and taking care of business in singles. 

Sophomore Vanessa Wong, playing in her cemented No. 2 singles slot, defeated Miyo Kobayashi 7-6, 6-1 to clinch the fourth point and match for the Huskies. Wong boasts a 16-4 record in singles on the year, and has been a consistent winner and producer in the Washington lineup.

“We overcame a lot of obstacles, and fought really well on each court,” Wong said to gohuskies.com. “It was challenging to go from indoors to outdoors on new courts but I feel like we handled it really well. We came out strong for both doubles points and that really helped us when going to singles.”

The Huskies sustained their recent success in doubles, which is starting to look like a real strength for this team. San Jose State was unable to win over four games in any of the doubles sets, as the Huskies swept 3-0.

Senior Stacey Fung was again good at the No.1 singles spot, delivering a double-bagel defeat of Tamara Culibrk 6-0, 6-0. Fung continues to anchor the Husky lineup, and has been a strong leader all season.

Adjusting to outdoor courts such as ones they saw this weekend will be key for the Huskies, as outdoors conference play approaches. Outdoor courts are often a much harder, faster surface that allows for significantly less reaction time. Clean winners, and unforced errors are much more common when playing outside, so having good footwork and reactions will be stressed in the coming weeks.

The final tune-up before conference play is this Friday, Mar. 1, when the Huskies host Kansas.  

Reach Reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com