UW swept by Arizona at Alki

• 0

The Washington beach volleyball team dropped both games to No. 14 Arizona in its only homestand of the season, hosted at Alki Beach rather than at the IMA’s sand volleyball courts, 3-2 and 4-1, respectively.

The UW’s first pair of seniors Destiny Julye and Kristen Gengenbacher won both their matches, but it wasn’t enough to pull the Huskies to victory in either game as they lost 2-3 and 1-4 to the Wildcats.

Julye and Gengenbacher finished off Arizona’s first pair easily in each of their first sets, winning Set 1 of their first match 21-14 and Set 1 of their second 21-11. While Olivia Hallaran and Mia Mason fought back in the second set of each match, Washington’s first pair finished both their matches in two sets.

Junior Shayne McPherson, who grew up playing on Alki, was back on her home turf, and split the day on the second pairing alongside Kara Bajema. In the second game of the day, the Huskies’ second pair went down 21-19 in a close first set, but fought to a third with a 21-13 victory in the second. In a hard fought third set, Arizona’s Jonny Baham and Brooke Burling came out on top.

The Huskies shifted the bottom three pairings between the first and second game, but all three pairs still came up short against the Wildcats. Junior Avie Niece and sophomore Samantha Drechsel switched, Niece taking Drechsel’s spot in the third pair.

Emma Calle paired with Drechsel on the fourth pair, moving up from her spot on the fifth, and Chloe Newton moved up from the exhibition pair to take Calle’s place. Kyra Petersen went from the fourth pair to competing in exhibition. On the bottom three pairs, only Cat McCoy stayed put.

Next week, the Huskies head to Stanford to face the Pac-12’s California schools, playing UCLA and Stanford on Saturday, and USC and Cal on Sunday.

Reach Social Media Editor Hailey Robinson at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @HaileyARobin