Career highs from Peterson, Rees, contribute to win over Duke

• 0
Peterson

Sophomore Missy Peterson finished a career-high 17 points and led the Huskies with nine rebounds.

After last week’s performance in New Orleans against Tulane, the Washington women’s basketball team has got to be feeling better about how it shot the ball against Duke today.

Led by Missy Peterson’s career-high 17 points, the Huskies (3-1) were able to knock off the Blue Devils (2-2), 71-64 in the opening round of the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, Fla.

“After I hit my first couple of threes I was feeling pretty good,” Peterson said. “Because after the past few games, they weren’t really falling very much, it was frustrating. But I just had to keep my head up, my teammates found me, they were going in tonight. It felt good.”

Peterson also secured a game-high nine rebounds to go along with two assists and three steals. Additionally, freshman forward Darcy Rees scored a career-high 10 points, while also grabbing five rebounds.

The Huskies put together their most complete quarter in the second frame, when they scored 21 points, all the while knocking down five threes to put their game total at eight. They wouldn’t make any more the rest of the game, but a strong defensive performance in the second half secured the win.

Washington will now move on to play Fordham in the Gulf Coast Showcase semifinals tomorrow at 2 p.m. PT.

Reach Assistant Sports Editor Alec Dietz at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @AlecDietz