EU_Windermere

The defending champion women's Washington rowing team got off to a good start for day one of the NCAA Championships, sweeping all three scoring races in route to the semifinals, tomorrow. 

The Huskies got off to a strong start at the NCAA Rowing Championships on Friday at Nathan Benderson Park, winning all of their heats and advancing to Saturday’s semifinals.

Despite the humid Central Florida conditions, the Dawgs handily defeated each of their opponents, winning each race by at least six seconds.

The first race of the day was the varsity eight. Facing off against Ivy League champion Yale and runner-up Princeton, Syracuse and Gonzaga, Washington cruised to a victory in which they led throughout.

The Huskies finished with a time of 6:17.517, nearly six seconds ahead of Princeton (6:23.277). Yale, Syracuse and Gonzaga placed third through fifth.

The dominance continued for Washington in their second race, the second varsity eight. They finished in 6:24.756, more than 12 seconds before second-place finisher Iowa (6:36.964). Conference rival USC finished third with a time of 6:38.296, with Syracuse and Northeastern finishing fourth and fifth.

The varsity four race saw Washington (7:06.045) have their largest margin of victory of the morning, defeating second-place Stanford (7:18.708) by about half a second sooner than the 2V8+ win against Iowa.

On Saturday, the Huskies are set to race in the varsity eight at 5:36 a.m. PT, while the second varsity eight kicks off at 6:24 a.m. PT and the varsity four at 7:12 a.m. PT.

Reach contributing reporter Jordan Duncan at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JordanDuncan43