Washington wins both events it competes in at Head of the American

• 0

In a battle of heavyweight Pac-12 teams, the Washington women’s rowing team came out winning the two events it participated thanks to senior Calina Schanze and junior Tabea Schendekehl.

The duo of Schanze and Schendekehl won the two events they competed at the Head of the American in Sacramento, Calif., on Saturday. UW entered eight boats in the pairs and three in the eights and came out winning in both.

Schanze and Schendekehl placed first in the women's Collegiate 2+ with a raw time of 19:28.8, easily beating Pac-12 conference opponent California. At the women’s Collegiate 8+, Bow No. 488 led by Schendekehl and junior Marley Avritt outpaced Stanford’s lightweights with a time of 17:2.2, beating second place by 24 seconds. California A entry rowers finished third.  

The Huskies represented well as Washington senior Adele Likin and junior Skylar Jacobson placed fifth.  Sophomore Teal Cohen and junior Emma Vagen finished in sixth while senior Jennifer Wren and junior Lark Skov  placed in the top ten of the Collegiate 2- race. In the Collegiate 8+, Bow No. 490 led by senior cox Amanda Durkin finished fourth and Bow No. 492 led by junior Dana Brooks placed fifth.

Eight Huskies made their debuts on Saturday including the two freshman rowers Denise Devlyn and Marguerite Trost that were part of the UW A boat. Washington’s second crew also had two freshmen and the third entry included four.

Next weekend, the UW’s women’s teams will be back in action with the Head of the Lake Regatta in Seattle.

Reach contributing writer Daniel Li at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @Daniel_Li7