Emily Hamlin’s success in the steeplechase helps UW sweep WSU

• 0

Senior Emily Hamlin finished first in the 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 10:23.89, which earned Washington five points to contribute to a 108-55 rout of Washington State and a sweep at the UW-WSU Dual.

“We swept,” Hamlin said. “We think the Powells [Andy and Maurica] foster such a positive environment, and everyone was super excited. We had people competing in events they’ve never done before.”

Last season, Hamlin moved to the steeplechase for the first time and was an All-America Honorable Mention for the steeple. In the NCAA West Preliminaries in Sacramento, she had the 11th fastest time nationally with a 10:00.35, which also earned her way to third in the steeplechase in school history. She also won the steeplechase at the UW-WSU Dual with a 10:24.04.

Hamlin believed that ability to translate skills from other sports to the steeplechase allowed her to be adept at this event.

“I played soccer growing up,” Hamlin said. “Having a general athleticism to go over the water jumps helps a lot. You also just have to be tough.”

Head director of track & field Maurica Powell praised Hamlin’s ability to mentally focus in the steeplechase. Powell believed that Hamlin’s mentality allows her to be equipped for the steeplechase.

“Emily is really level-headed and she is very resilient,” Powell said. “I think those two traits translate well to the steeple because you can have a bad water jump and you have to shake it off because here comes another one. She doesn’t dwell on things and she stays really present. I think she’s really athletic. She’s a good water jumper and hurdler without having to do much work. I thought she was great today.”

When asked about her mentality, Hamlin said Maurica Powell’s advice helped.

“Coach said don’t pay attention to the splits,” Hamlin said. “Just go out there and beat the Cougs and that’s what we did.”

The next time you can catch Hamlin at the steeplechase will be next Saturday at the Jay Hammer Invitational.

Cass Elliott starts off hot

Freshman Cass Elliott started the outdoor track season strong with a time of 52.19 in the 400-meter hurdles, which helped the Washington men run away with a 103-60 win over Washington State.

“I felt good,” Elliott said. “I was a little worried about the wind in the back stretch. It wasn’t too bad, and I was able to execute my plan.”

During the UW-WSU Dual, rain and wind made running a little more difficult. As the 400 meter hurdles was approaching, Elliott wanted to make sure he had a plan.

“In the Dual, it’s always points, points, points,” Elliott said. “I wasn’t too worried about the time today. I just wanted to win. If it was too windy in the back stretch, I would try to go 15 strides for the whole race. But if there’s no wind, I always try to go 14.”

Today, Elliott got his first taste of the UW-WSU rivalry. Although he acknowledged the rivalry, he recognized there are bigger goals in track.

“I think the rivalry is going to always matter, Elliott said. “I ran against a lot of these guys in high school, and as much as I want to beat the Cougars, it’s always nice to be friends with them. Track’s all for a personal best. We just want everyone to get better.”

Other Notes

• Sophomore Kemuel Santana set a personal record in the men’s 100 meter dash with a 10.49. He finished second in the race.

• Junior Chase Smith wins the pole vault with a 17 feet 8.5 inch leap

• Junior Sarah Stavig was first in the 200 meter dash with a time of 25.12.

Reach reporter Daniel Li at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @Daniel_Li7