No. 1 Washington ready to battle No. 2 California in women’s Cal Dual

• 0

The UW women's first varsity eight boat races at the Husky open on March 19.

Coming off its regatta against Michigan and Ohio State in Nevada, the No. 1 Washington women’s rowing team returns home to the Montlake Cut to face No. 2 California in the annual Cal Dual.

The UW already faced Cal at the San Diego Crew Classic earlier this month as both teams rowed in the same final in four boats: the first, second, and third varsity eights along with the varsity four.

Washington won the V4+ and the 3V8+, whereas Cal won the V8+. The Huskies finished second in the V8+ and 2V8+, while Cal took third in the 2V8+.

“Everybody assumes a lot of things have changed since we last raced in San Diego so it’s a fresh look for both teams at one another,” head coach Yasmin Farooq said. “I hope we get really great, close, exciting racing because I think that will bring out the best in us and helps us develop and be our best for the Pac-12 championships which is the gateway to the NCAAs.”

The Dawgs won four out of five races at last season’s Cal Dual, falling short in the varsity eight against the Golden Bears in Redwood Shores, Calif. Washington went on to win all five at the Pac-12 championships, but Cal won the varsity eight and varsity four to earn the NCAA championships last spring.

This Saturday also marks the inaugural She Will Win regatta for youth and masters women’s crews.

Washington and California’s women’s varsity eight rivalry began in 1977, with 42 meetings between the two schools. The Huskies are racing for a chance to claim the Simpson Cup, after the men secured the Schoch Cup last weekend.

The UW’s last victory in the varsity eight came in 2013 and California has won 14 of the past 15 in the Cal Dual.

Reach reporter Evan Wong at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @evan_wong29