Burr-Kirven wins DPOY, Huskies bring home all-conference honors

• 0
BBK

Ben Burr-Kirven celebrates after his interception in the third quarter of the Apple Cup.

Senior linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven took home the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year Award on Tuesday. It’s the second season in a row that a Washington player has won the award, after Vita Vea in 2017, and the third straight year that a Husky has won a conference end-of-year award. Jake Browning won the Offensive Player of the Year honors in 2016.

Burr-Kirven leads the nation with 165 total tackles so far this season. He is having the 10th-best season in UW history in terms of tackles, averaging over 12 tackles per game. With one more game left on the Huskies’ schedule, Burr-Kirven is set to become the first UW defender to reach 170 tackles in a season since Ricky Andrews in 1988.

Earlier in the day, the 2018 All-Pac-12 teams were announced, with the Huskies well represented. Burr-Kirven, offensive linemen Nick Harris and Kaleb McGary, defensive tackle Greg Gaines, and defensive backs Byron Murphy and Taylor Rapp all earned first-team all-conference honors. Rapp was one of five players named who had earned first-team honors before.

Myles Gaskin made the second-team offense, Myles Bryant was named to the second-team defense, and Elijah Molden earned second-team honors on special teams.

Four Huskies earned honorable mentions: Browning, JoJo McIntosh, Jaylen Johnson, and Drew Sample.

Reach Sports Editor Josh Kirshenbaum at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @J_Kirshenbaum