Six Dawgs taken in MLB Draft

• 0
Six Dawgs taken in MLB Draft

Nick Kahle was taken the fourth round of the MLB Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers. 

Six players from the Washington baseball team got the call to the next level, getting selected in the 2019 MLB Draft.

The haul ties for the second-most for the Huskies at the draft in Lindsay Meggs’ tenure as head coach.

Nick Kahle was the first Dawg off the board, going to the Milwaukee Brewers in the fourth round with the No. 133 pick. Kahle, who started all 52 games in his senior season, led the Huskies with a .339 batting average and a .506 on-base percentage. A semifinalist for the Buster Posey National Catcher of the Year award, Kahle brought home All-Pac-12 honors each of the past two seasons.

Second to be picked was sophomore pitcher Josh Burgmann, who tied for second in the Pac-12 with 101 strikeouts this year. Burgmann went to the Chicago Cubs in the fifth round; he’ll join former UW shortstop Levi Jordan in the Cubs’ organization.

It’s the second time in the past five years two UW players have gone in the first five rounds.

On Tuesday, four more current Huskies heard their names called. Chris Micheles was the first, going to the Philadelphia Phillies in the 14th round. Micheles led the Huskies with 34 appearances this past season, and had a team-best .201 batting average against.

The Atlanta Braves picked Connor Blair in the 15th round. Blair, a transfer out of Butte College, started 33 games and hit eight home runs, tied with Kahle for second on the team.

Jordan Jones went to the Cleveland Indians in the 16th round. He sits at seventh in UW program history in innings pitched (268.1) and sixth in strikeouts (209).

Ben Baird went to the St. Louis Cardinals in the 34th round. The junior saw the most action of his career this past season, starting 47 games.

Brock Jones, a UW commit from Chehalis, Wash. was also taken in the 16th round by the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Reach Sports Editor Josh Kirshenbaum at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @J_Kirshenbaum