Coming off its first place finish at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational the Washington women’s golf team travels down to Pebble Beach with the opportunity to take on Stanford, the team they beat for the 2016 National Championship. The tournament is hosted by former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and will be played at the Poppy Hills Golf Course. The course spans 6,069 yards with a par of 71. 

Stanford will play host to 15 teams, six in the top-25. Coming in ranked No. 35, Washington looks to improve on its steady start. Washington has never won the tournament in 22 tries, so it’ll look to seize an opportunity early in the season to cement their standing among the top teams in the nation. 

The weather won’t be a factor as the Huskies head down south to California. Light winds and clear skies provide a beautiful backdrop for the three-day tournament. The course itself may not be as welcoming, boasting long, difficult holes that have challenged even professionals in its tenure as a pro-am host from 1991 to 2009. It has also hosted the NCAA Men’s National Championship and the Spalding Pebble Beach Invitational. In 2013 the course formerly known as the Hilltop Course underwent its most recent renovation since its opening in 1986.

As Washington heads down to to California the pressure to perform will be on. Although it is early in the year, this tournament holds some weight for who will be the future NCAA Champion: three of the last six teams to win the tournament went on to win the National Championships.

The Huskies tee off Monday, Oct. 16, from 7:30-10 a.m. and to keep up with the scores live scoring is available at Golfstat.com.

Reach Contributing writer Elie Klasky-Gamer sports@dailyuw.com. twitter:@elieklaskygamer