Washington men’s golf struggles in Tavistock Collegiate Invitational

• 0

The Washington men’s golf team placed 15th out of the 15 teams in the Tavistock Collegiate Invitational in Windermere Fla, at Isleworth Golf & Country Club, posting a score of 32-over 896 (287-308-301) over the three-day tournament.  Even though the outcome of the tournament wasn’t what the Huskies were hoping for, they were up against seven of the top 25 teams in the nation. The tournament took place at Isleworth Golf & Country Club.

"We got off to a really tough start and just swam against the tide all day," head coach Alan Murray told GoHuskies.com. "This was a really strong field against some of the very best teams were here. We were a long way off this week and if we are to compete with them, we need to get much better. We have an opportunity around the corner in Hawaii for our next tournament so it's a case of taking advantage of the next few days we have in Seattle and getting focused and working hard to be better."

Washington was led by freshman Paul Margolis who ended up tying for 38th place. While freshman Padraic Sim tied for 66th place when he went four-under after a rough start but finished strong on his last seven holes, only going 7-over.

"I was really pleased with Padraic playing his back nine at 4-under to end up counting for us today," Murray told GoHuskies.com. "It would have been easy for him to just mail it in after his start but he battled hard and should take some confidence that resilient finish to his round."

Washington will be rounding out its fall season with one tournament left at the Ka'anapali Collegiate in Maui. After that final fall tournament, the Huskies will have time off until spring play starts at the end of January.

Reach Contributing writer Madison MacPhee at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @madison_macphee